Event Resource Library
Below are a selection of resources available to event organisers. If you are aware of others please email us and we will add them to the library.
Given many sites are regularly updated, some information may be out of date or the links broken. If you come across this, please let us know and we will attempt to update details.
Disclaimer: The following links are provided for information only and are not an endorsement or recommendation.
Local Government Contacts Victorian Worksafe Safe Work Australia Victorian Building Authority (VBA) & Temporary Structures Electrical Safety – Energy Safe Victoria Gas Safety – Energy Safe Victoria Victoria Police Protecting Crowded Places and Security Emergency Management Ambulance Victoria First Aid/Medical Crowd Control Consumer Law – Festivals and Events Food and Water Safety Fundraising, lottery and gaming licences Liquor Licencing Public Transport – Event notification Traffic, Public Transport and Road Closures (VicRoads, Police) Amusement Rides / Inflatable Devices Accessible events / Universal Design Animals and Circuses Horses Drones / Remotely Piloted Aircraft Music and Copyright Privacy, Permissions and Copyright Noise management Parties / Fetes Parks Victoria State Forests Smoke Free Events Sustainability Working with Children/Child Protection Racial Discrimination and Vilification Know your rights: Racial Discrimination and Vilification, Australian Human Rights Commission
Local Government Contacts
Safe Work Australia
Victorian Building Authority (VBA) & Temporary Structures
Electrical Safety – Energy Safe Victoria
Gas Safety – Energy Safe Victoria
Protecting Crowded Places and Security
Ambulance Victoria First Aid/Medical
Consumer Law – Festivals and Events
Food and Water Safety
Fundraising, lottery and gaming licences
Public Transport – Event notification
Traffic, Public Transport and Road Closures (VicRoads, Police)
Amusement Rides / Inflatable Devices
Accessible events / Universal Design
Animals and Circuses
Drones / Remotely Piloted Aircraft
Music and Copyright
Privacy, Permissions and Copyright
Parties / Fetes
Smoke Free Events
Working with Children/Child Protection
Racial Discrimination and Vilification
Know your rights: Racial Discrimination and Vilification, Australian Human Rights Commission
Event Planning Guides – National
- Safe and Healthy Crowded Places Handbook, Australia Institute of Disaster Resilience
- Live Performance Australia - Contains a range of Guides and Codes relating to live entertainment and events
- Live Performance Australia – codes for Safety Guidelines for the Entertainment Industry
- Live Performance Australia – Liquor Licensing and Crowd Control
- Planning Safe Public Events Practical Guidelines, Australian Government, Attorney-General’s Department Crime Prevention, 2002.
Event Planning Guides – Victoria
- Victorian Guidelines-for-Public-Events-2018
- Victorian – Event Management Guidelines 2004
- Code of Practise for running safer dance parties (the “Code”), Department of Human Services, 2013.
- Best Practice Guidelines for Live Music Events, Music Victoria
- Crowd Control at Venues and Events, An occupational health and safety guide, Victorian Workcover Authority, 2007.
- Advice for Running Major Events Safely, Victorian Workcover Authority, 2006.
- SHERP - State Health Emergency Response Plan (First Aid/Medical).
- Emergency Management Manual Victoria, 2014
- Smoke-free Underage Music/Dance Events Guide, Department of Human Services, 2006.
- Severe Weather Guidelines for Outdoor Activities, Outdoors Victoria, 2009
Event Planning Guides – Western Australia
- Guidelines for concerts, events and organised gatherings, WA Health Directorate, 2004
Event Planning Guide – South Australia
- Guidelines for the Management of Public Health and Safety at Public Events. Government of South Australia, Department of Health, 2006.
Event Planning Guide – New South Wales
Event Planning Guide – ACT
- ACT Event Guidelines, ACT Government
- A guide to risk management of public events, ACT Government
- Event Planning, ACT Emergency Services Agency
Event Planning Guide – Queensland
- Queensland Events Guide, Tourism and Events Queensland
- Qld Event Management Planning Guide, QLD Government
Non-profit fundraising events: alcohol, safety and event management A HELPFUL PLANNING GUIDE, QLD Police
International, UK & US Resources
- Public Health for Mass Gatherings: Key Considerations, World Health Organisation, 2015
- Security of Soft Targets and Crowded Places – Resource Guide, 2018, National Protection and Programs Directorate Office of Infrastructure Protection
- Crowded Places Guidance, UK, National Counter Terrorism Security Office
- Advice for Security Managers of Crowded Places Following a Change of Threat Level to Critical – National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO)
- Counter Terrorism Protective Security Advice for Major Events, Police Scotland
- Health Safety Executive – Events Health and Safety, (UK publications and information)
- Protecting crowded Places: Design and Technical Issues, NACTSO, 2014
- Understanding Crowd Behaviour: Guidance and Lessons identified, Cabinet Office, Emergency Planning College, University of Leeds, UK, 2009
- The Event Safety Guide: A Guide to Health and Welfare at Music and Similar Events. Health and Safety Executive, UK, 1999.
- Managing Crowds Safely, Health and Safety Executive, UK, 2000.
- Guide for Safety at Sporting Events, Media and Sport, UK, 2008
- Protective Measures Guide for the US Events Venues Industry, Homeland Security
- Risk Management of events, A guide for event organisers, Sport New Zealand
General Legal, Non-Profit and Volunteer Information
- Not-for-profit Law Information Hub- advice to community organisations including event organisers and fundraising.
- Ourcommunity.com.au- Insurance and risk management center for community organisations.
- Arts Law Centre of Australia Online- legal information for arts organisations. Includes “Organising a Festival Checklist”.
- A Clubs Guide to Risk Management, Australian Sports Commission
- Volunteering Victoria
- Volunteering Australia
- Institute of Community Directors – Policy Bank
- Consumer Affairs Victoria – information for Incorporated Associations.
- The Law Handbook
- Resilient Community Organisations, Australian Government
- Measuring What Matters, An introduction to project evaluation for not-for-profits, OurCommunity
- Australian Taxation Office, Grants and Sponsorship
- Not-for-profit Law Information Hub, Seeking Funding
- Ourcommunity.com.au, Funding Centre
- Grassroots Grants, A resource kit for community organisations seeking funding, Regional Development Victoria
- Not-for-profit, Grants in Australia: Management and accountability made easy for not-for-profit organisations, CPA Australia, 2012
- Victorian Government
- Australian Government
- Community Grant Guru
- Philanthropy Australia
Standards and Codes
Risk and Safety Management
- AS/NZS ISO 31000 Set: 2013 Risk Management Set
- AS 3745 2010 Planning for emergencies in facilities (including Amdt 2-2014)
- Occupational Health and Safety Management Plan (OHSMP)
- AS/NZS 4801:2001 Occupational Health and Safety management systems – Specifications with guidance for use
Amusement rides and inflatable devices
- AS 3533.1 – 2009 Amusement rides and devices – Design and Construction
- AS 3533.4.1 – 2005 Amusement rides and devices – Specific requirements – Land-borne inflatable devices
- AS 3533.2 – 2009 Amusement rides and devices – Operation and maintenance
- AS 3522.4.2- 2013 Amusement rides and devices – Specific requirements – Contained play facilities.
- AS 3533.4.5 (Int) – 2012 Amusement rides and devices – Specific requirements – Waterborne inflatables
- AS 3533.4.4 – 2011 Amusement rides and devices – Specific requirements – Concession go-karts
Crowd Control Barriers
- AS 4687-2007 (temporary fencing and hoardings)
- AS/NZ 1664:1:1997 (Aluminium structures)
- AS/NZS 1170 parts 0,1, 2:2002 (AKA loading codes)
- International Standard BS EN 13200-3:2005 (Spectator Facilities) Annex A
- ISO 9001 Quality Assurance
- Australian/NZ Structure Design Certification
- AS ISO 20121-2013 Event sustainability management systems – Requirements with guidance for use
- AS/NZS 3760:2010 In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment
S8.2.12.0090, Electrical Wiring SWMS
- Model Code of Practise: Managing Electrical Safety in the Workplace, Safe Work Australia
- AS/NZS 1596:2014, The storage and handling of LP Gas
Scaffolding and Elevated Work Platforms
- AS/NZS 1576.1:2010 Scaffolding – General requirements
- AS/NZS 1891.4: 2000 – Industrial fall-arrest systems and devices — Selection, use and maintenance
- 10048, Elevated Work Platform – Cherry Picker Operation SWMS
- AS 2550.10 – Guidance on the safe operation of elevating work platforms
Code of Practice Portable Toilets – Jan 2015 – Hire and Renal Industry Association
- A Cultural Tourism Toolkit, Arts NSW
- Growing Cycling Tourism in Victoria, Tourism Victoria and Tourism Research Australia
- Backing Major Events, Tourism and Transport Forum
- Events: Drivers of Regional Tourism, Tourism Research Australia
- The Economic & Cultural Value of Live Music in Australia 2014
Business and Events Research and Reports
- Value of Business Events To Australia, 2015, Business Events Council of Australia
- Backing Major Events
- Events Drivers of Regional Tourism
- Tourism Research Australia, Local Government Data
Professional Event Associations
- Hire and Rental Industry Association Ltd – www.hireandrental.com.au
- Meetings and Events Australia (MEA) – www.meetingsevents.com.au
- Exhibition and Event Association of Australia (EEAA) – www.eeaa.com.au
- International Special Events Society (ISES) – www.ises.com (not in Australia)
- International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA) - www.ifea.com
- Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance – www.alliance.org.au
To add other resources to this list, please email us the details.